We love CRABFEST. As fans of crabs and all things seafood, this is one festival we look forward to with anticipation every year. Organised by the City of Mandurah, the Crab Fest is an annual free community event during Crab Season (usually March). Located at the Mandurah City Centre foreshore, this event, which is in its 20th year is attended by more than 120,000 locals and visitors. This is our 3rd CRABFEST and like the previous years, it was epic!
The CRABFEST is a 2-day weekend event and this year it was held on the 17-18 March 2018. The festival is mainly about CRABS, however, for those who aren’t fans of crabs, there are also other foods, live music, performances, children’s entertainment, discounted dolphin cruises, competitions, cooking demonstrations, and fireworks. It is truly a great day to spend with your family and friends.
This year, we arrived a little later in the evening as we would like to stay on for the fireworks finale. The weather was gorgeous and the view from the Mandurah foreshore was magnificent. Unlike previous years, this year we are only sampling the seafood- mostly crabs. While there were plenty of options, we picked five of the most interesting seafood dishes and went from there. As a result, we tried Plum Crab, Creamy Prawns, Shrimp and Crab Gumbo, Cheesy Crab and Crab Ratatouille. The seafood was so fresh and tasted great. We ate our dinner right next to the foreshore while watching the sunset.
After sampling those delicious crabs and prawns, we walked around the rest of the festival and around Mandurah City Centre while waiting for the fireworks display. The evening performance was front lined by Samantha Jade in front of thousands of her fans. The night ended on a spectacular high with a fantastic fireworks show on the foreshore. We truly cannot wait for next years CRABFEST.
6 Fun Things to do at the Crab Fest, Mandurah
- Get on the Dolphin Cruises which offers a discounted rate to get on a cruise around the gorgeous Mandurah Canals. If you are lucky you might even catch a dolphin or two
- Get on the awesome kids’ rides available at the kids’ entertainment section. There is a mini roller coaster, teacup as well as RAC helicopter simulator.
- Watch amazing fireworks display
- Watch cooking demonstrations by celebrity chefs
- Eat CRABS! Hundreds of food stalls, food trucks and local restaurants serving a wide variety of food. However, CRAB dishes is the star here.
- Watch stage performances