Celebrating Valentine’s Day it by going out is a hassle. Well, at least it is for us. Crowded restaurants and bars, with everything must be booked well in advance. On top of that, the feeling of being rushed. Trying to have an intimate dinner while the restaurant’s next booking is waiting to take over your table. Let’s be honest, with all the kerfuffle, Valentine’s Day is more stressful than it is romantic.
So, why not do something different this year ? Make this a great Valentine’s day celebration by taking matters in your hand. Organise a picnic at your favourite spot (or your backyard, your call) and prepare easy, healthy and romantic picnic food that won’t take you all day to cook! The aim is to use whatever you have in your pantry/fridge. This way, we avoid spending too much time and money on food and preparation, yet still come up with meals to impress. Most importantly. no hassle and no stress!
Recipes are collaborative effort between Mrs. Smith and Tina Gajda, Head Chef of Wanderlust Cafe
Tomato & Feta Bruschetta
Serves 2 | Prep Time : 10 mins
- 2 English Muffins – split and lightly toasted
- 8 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Medium sized red onion – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil or a Handful of fresh basil
- A handful rocket mix
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melted Butter
- Chop cherry tomatoes, onion and fresh basil
- Mix chopped tomatoes, onion and basil with olive oil, balsamic vinegar
- Add Salt (not too much as feta is salty) and Pepper
- Lightly toast English Muffins and brush evenly with melted butter
- Spoon rocket mix onto muffin, followed by tomatoes mixture
- Add crumbled Feta on top.
Salmon & Sweet Potato Salad with Sweet Chilli Lime Dressing
Serves 2 | Prep Time : 10 Mins | Cook Time : 20 mins
- 250 g of Salmon – cubed
- Medium sweet potatoes – Chopped and Roasted
- Half an Avocado – sliced
- Salad Mix
- Cucumber – sliced
- Marinated Capsicum
- Toasted Almond Flakes
- Lemon slices/wedges
- Olive Oil for roasting and pan frying
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
Sweet Chilli Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Lime zest
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of hot water
- A handful of coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salmon : Cut salmon into bite sized cube. Season with Salt & Pepper. Pan fry Salmon. Put aside to cool
- Sweet Potatoes : Peel and cut sweet potatoes into bite sized cube. Season with Salt & Pepper. Add rosemary and olive oil. Roast potatoes in a pre-heated oven on a 180° c heat for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Dressing – Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toasted Almond Flakes – dry roast a handful of Almond Flakes for 2 minutes on a pan. Until it becomes slightly brown
- Salad – Toss together salad mix, cucumber, capsicum and toasted almond flakes.
- To assemble, spoon Salmon and Sweet potatoes over Salad and dress with Sweet Chilli Dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
Valentine’s Day Marshmallow Rice Krispies with Chocolate Ganache
Serves 10 | Prep Time : 5 mins | Cook Time : 10 mins
- 65 g unsalted Butter
- 5 cups of plain Rice Bubbles cereal
- 4 cups of mini Marshmallows
- 50 g of milk chocolate buttons/melts
- 2 tbsp milk
- Melt butter on low heat using a large pan. Add marshmallow and stir until marshmallow had melted.
- Add Rice bubbles 1 cup at a time and mix well
- Spoon mixture onto a greased, square baking pan. Evenly and firmly. Allow to cool
- Mix chocolate buttons and milk in a bowl and heat mixture in the microwave on high for 15 seconds, take mixture out and stir. Place mixture back in for another 10 seconds. Stir chocolate until it is smooth.
- Drizzle ganache over rice Krispies and allow ganache to harden
- Cut Rice Krispies into 3 cm x 3 cm square.
Fruity Valentine’s Iced Tea
Serves 2 | Prep Time : 10 Mins
- 2 tea bags of Twinnings Cranberry & Pomegranate Tea bag
- 300 ml Hot water
- 450 ml Cold Water
- 250 ml Pomegranate Juice
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Ice cubes
- Strawberries and blackberries for Garnish
- Brew 2 bags of tea in 300 ml boiling hot water for 5 minutes
- Remove teabags and add 3 tbsp of sugar. Leave to cool
- When ready to serve. Add Pomegranate juice, cold water and Ice cubes. Stir Well
Serve with strawberries & blackberries or any garnish of your choice, if desired.